Prior to European colonization, inhabitants of the area where members of three Native American tribes, Chakola, Tagarish and Qualee who had made use of the three rivers, each named for one of the tribes, that flow into Enid Bay as trading area.
The first European to visit the Fort Spector area was Markus Cole, in 1792 during his expedition to chart the Pacific Northwest. The first white settlement, founded in 1860 at the mouth of the Chakola River, was named Colevile and that remains the name of the neighborhood at that sight to this day. The white settlers sought to also make use of the areas extensive waterways for trade. The natives in the area where friendly and welcoming to the new people moving to the area, but they where very superstitious and warned the settlers of disturbing the natural landscape. They claimed that the good spirits of the forest protected the area from spirits of great evil. The Europeans paid little heed to these warnings, of course, and as their numbers grew, many trees where cut down to make room for roads and buildings. That was when the stories began. At first, it was just farmers losing livestock, which was just attributed to bears and wolves. But then hunters began to disappear, and then some came back with horrible stories of great beasts in the forest that where to terrible to even describe. Much of this was said to be mere folklore, and while many popular stories have been proven to have little basis in fact, the settlers still lived in fear.
1896 saw the beginning of the Klondike Gold Rush and the area became a major gateway to Alaska. There was an influx of prospectors, shipbuilders, and traders and as more of the land became settled, the number of legends concerning the dangerous wilderness began to grow. It was Gen. Gregory Spector who was charged with establishing a military presence in the region to protect the settlers and prospectors from harm. Fort Spector was built in 1901 on the high peak of Jagmore Point. The original fort is preserved as a historic landmark and is a major tourist attraction in the city that now bares its name.